Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Empathy and Kalyn


My dad used to tell me that i am a genuinely good person with lots of empathy for those who are unfortunate. He used to say that ever since i was little, even before i learned how to sit, my mom would watch TV with me in her arms. When there is something sad going on in TV, i would cry; when good things are happening in TV i would giggle! hehe I sound like a really adorable baby, don't i don't i!!! hahaha anyway. He said i have kept this trait all my life. He thinks that i can not bear to see anybody in pain or in trouble. If i could, he said, i would take up all the homeless people and put them in my house and feed them! I doubt that those were my really words and thoughts. Cause ever since i could remember i don't seem to be empathetic about the misfortunate. Um.. let me rephrase that. I guess i do not have any empathy for stupid people who bring it onto themselves. For example, I have tons to empathy for a hungry child on the street. But for a perfectly able young homeless person, i could only say, well, i'm sorry, but you deserve it. No body should be starving in this country. just because all the public welfare that are available... I do have empathy for people i care about, other than that is a "ha well... that sucks, better luck next time i guess"

that is not a bad thing to not have empathy for a lot of people is it? i mean when you think about it, it's a self protecting mechanism. It would be so much worse if i trust everybody i know and give empathy to everyone around me. People do need to work for empathy and trust from others. That's what makes it special. otherwise there is no such thing as friends or good friends. I really think those levels of closeness are defined by the amount of empathy and trust they have for each other.

I AM GOING TO CHINA WITH KALYN!!!!!

yes, folks the lutherian gal is gonna invade china in june! plans you ask? Beijing, Chongqing, and maybe somewhere else! It will be so much fun!
Speaking of kalyn, we had a love/hate relationship in the past. This odd little white girl was my roommate freshman year. She is probably on the opposite pole from me if we were electrodes! Freshman year, i think i tried so hard trying to warm her up to me. But no, it seems like she is just soooooo unexcitable! and we hated living with each other! hahaha so i guess once we moved out, everything just magically fell into the right places and the world is filled with rainbow and flowers again! it is just really surprising that she would become one of my best friends. and i really do hope we keep in touch after we graduate. and i really think if there really is a god, she would be an angel sent to me from heaven! well... at least i was told that i said that when i was drunk in the hospital on my 21th birthday... ya...i don't remember that

No comments: