Wednesday, March 14, 2007

A Small Town Art Teacher








Lauren A, the fiance of a grad student in Masel's lab, is a first year art teacher at St. Joseph-Ogden High School. She is the only art teacher at that small high school and is in charge of Art I, II, III, IV classes. I have no idea how many students she has or how many kids are in each class. The school has 500 students approximately from what i heard. So it's a small school in a small town. I was introduced to their art class website by her fiance, Rob. I was amazed at just how great those art works are from Art I students. I posted some for your viewing pleasure. They are just so vibrant and lively. I thought of that crippled kid walking around on the quad trying to get to class even in icy cold winter. And of course i thought of myself skipping classes because i was just too lazy to get out of bed... The same two souls, different paths, different lives. The difference is not physically, but rather mental. The amount of dedication and determination the former has, makes the latter seems rather shameful. When i saw those art works by the kids in Lauren's class, something inside of me woke up. I periodically forget that life is about 80 years long, and the range of things i'll do in my 80 years defintely exceeds school. For the timebeing, it's probably a good idea to try my best for an ASPEN assignment. But in my remaining 60 years, it doesn't mean anything more significant than, say, lunch on the quad. The colors i see contains more meanings and significance, the emotions behind them represents more. I just realize i probably shouldn't get hang up on my 23rd year, but think about my 40th and 50th year. So many things come and go, working hard is not a periodic thing, probably just a life style. That's probably why there doesn't seem to be an end to it. and no one probably wants it anyway...

No comments: